Sunday, November 22, 2009

Papier-Mâché Anatomist Louis Thomas Jérôme Auzoux's Epic Atelier


Of all the anatomical modelers I know, Dr. Louis Thomas Jérôme Auzoux is one of my least favorites, due to his medium of choice being not the uncanny and fine wax of his precursors but prosaic and utilitarian Papier-Mâché. That said, I really do love this photo of Auzoux's atelier, which one of the presenters at the Auzoux conference at the Boerhaave Museum last year included in their lecture. I was finally able to find a copy online as of this morning; The caption reads "Etablissement du Dr Auzoux - Modèles fabriqués dans les ateliers de Saint-Aubin-d'Ecrosville (Eure)." Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

More on Auzoux and his work can be found on this recent Morbid Anatomy post. Click the image--found it on Arehn's Picassa gallery--to see much larger, more detailed image.

No comments: